What is a Sleep Disorder?
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Trouble staying asleep? Are you snoring? Sleep disorders are changes in the way that you sleep. And although they can be annoying, more importantly, sleep disorders can have negative effects on your overall health, well-being, and longevity.
What are the symptoms of a sleep disorder?
Many of the signs of sleep disorders result from sleep deprivation they cause:
- Not feeling rested when you wake up in the morning
- Morning headaches
- Excessive sleepiness during the day
- Falling asleep at inappropriate times (driving, reading, in a meeting, etc.)
- Decrease in your level of attention, concentration, or memory
- Waking in the night feeling confused
Other indicators can appear as the disorder continues over time:
- Recent, unexplained weight gain
- Fatigue, lack of energy
- Moodiness, irritability, impatience
- Decreasing quality of life
There are many different types of sleep disorders, and they are sometimes grouped into categories based on their cause or how they affect you. The most common sleep disorders relate to snoring and sleep apnea.Take Our Sleep Quiz!