Snoring & Sleeping Disorders
Snoring is noisy and disruptive to sleep, and it’s a condition that can affect virtually anyone. However, snoring can be a symptom of a sleep disorder called sleep apnea, which can disrupt sleep and lead to serious health issues.
What Causes Snoring?
Snoring occurs when your mouth and nose have blockages that prevent airflow. The sound of snoring is created by the rattling and vibration of tissues near the airway in the back of your throat. While sleeping, the muscles relax, which narrows the airway, and as we breathe, the moving air makes the tissue flutter that results in the snoring sound.
Snoring & Sleep Disorder Symptoms
Loud snoring, daytime sleepiness, and morning headaches are commonly reported by patients with sleep disorders. Other symptoms may include mood changes like irritability or depression, or a lack of focus. You may also notice a sore throat or dry mouth upon waking up, sudden awakenings accompanied by choking or gasping, pauses in breathing during sleep, or teeth grinding.
The following factors may contribute to a higher risk of sleep disorders:
- Sedative medications
- Alcohol consumption
- Chronic nasal congestion
- Sleep position
- Older Age
- Sleep deprivation
- High blood pressure
- Family history of sleep apnea
Tips to Avoid Snoring
It isn't always possible to stop snoring entirely, but you can take steps to minimize the noise and discomfort. Change your sleeping position (try sleeping on your side), avoid sleep deprivation, and practice a regular sleep routine. You can also reduce your alcohol intake, stay hydrated, or try a new, more supportive pillow.
How Are Sleep Disorders Diagnosed?
A sleep study can be conducted to determine if you snore and why. Polysomnography records important information about what your body does while you're asleep.
Sleep Disorder Treatments by Southern Indiana ENT
If you’re experiencing symptoms of sleep disorder and snoring in Columbus IN, Southern Indiana ENT offers several sleep disorder treatments that can help reduce snoring and treat sleep apnea.
- Dental Appliances:- Southern Indiana ENT offers dental appliances that are custom-made to fit you. These are comfortable, non-invasive, and will reduce symptoms of snoring and sleep apnea.
- LATERA®:- The LATERA® Absorbable Nasal Implant is a safe, convenient, and effective sleep apnea treatment that will help you breathe better through your nose.
- UPPP(Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty):- UPPP(Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty) is an outpatient surgical procedure where a portion of the patient’s uvula (the organ located at the top of the throat) is removed.
- VIVAER®:- Also known as a nasal airway remodeling procedure, VIVAER® can treat your nasal congestion and sinusitis by reshaping your airways.
- Turbinate Reduction:- Turbinate reduction can be performed in one of our locations in Columbus, IN. Call and schedule your appointment at Southern Indiana ENT to find out if you’re a good candidate for a turbinate reduction.
Why Choose Southern Indiana ENT?
Snoring and other symptoms of sleep apnea and sleep disorders will not only affect your sleep, but your quality of life as well. At Southern Indiana ENT, we offer a wide range of sleep disorder treatments that are safe, convenient, and effective. From nasal strips for snoring to a sleep apnea test at home to surgical procedures, our state-of-the-art treatments will have you sleeping soundly again.
To help you get started, take our sleep disorder quiz and share your results with us. Contact Southern Indiana ENT to make an appointment.